December 17

Chapter 4- Making Curriculum Accessible Through Instructional Strategies and Accommodations

Wow! That was a long title!

UDL, RTI, Accommodations- this chapter gives a good overview of these three topics. I also loved the example given about a lesson that used UDL- the rock lesson. Oh how I wish every teacher taught in this way! It is so difficult to change the way teachers teach, especially when they typically do not attend Professional Development Sessionsto help improve their teaching techniques. Strictly paper/pencil tasks is just not supportive of all student needs.

In my district, we use the RTI model of 3-tiered instructional supports. It is how we structure the additional supports in our school. This year, we have a significant number of emotionally/behaviourally needy students in our primary classes- one student who is quite violent, one student who is a flight risk, another student who is both violent and a flight risk and a fourth student who is a risk to himself. Due to this, we have placed a large amount of support into these classrooms. Unfortunately, this leaves some of our other students in the intermediate wing less supported. How I wish our school and mostly, our district were funded adequately so that we were better able to meet the needs of our students.

Accommodations/adaptations is an area that is a real struggle for some of my colleagues to understand. They often get it and modifications mixed up. I really like the list that they have placed at the end of this chapter. Some of these I often forget to include on my IEPs, so it will be great to utilize this book when writing them next time.

Does your school/district use the RTI model of instructional support?

Is UDL being used effectively in your school? Do you, like me, have colleagues who are not utilizing this method for including all students, giving them all access to the curriculum?

Do you have any accommodations that are not on the list but might be helpful to others in the group?

Posted December 17, 2018 by tiebcmembers in category Inclusion in Action

1 thoughts on “Chapter 4- Making Curriculum Accessible Through Instructional Strategies and Accommodations

1. Carla Lowther

RTI was introduced to SD#60 many years ago. I was a classroom teacher back then. Unfortunately (at least in my opinion), it was introduced to us as “they way we are going to deal with students who demonstrate behaviour problems”. More recently, the RTI model has been used by LATs to help teachers determine what is in their classes with regards to academic needs, very much like the left side of Fig 4.1 on pg 42. At the school I was at for the last 4 years, we did this last year for some of the classes. We, as LATs, found it very useful for knowing which classes we needed to focus on.
    Our (LATs) issue was time: There was not enough time to do it academically for all 7 classes in the school academically let alone behaviourally. The campus I was mainly at rarely has severe behaviour students like most schools due to the way students are chosen for the other campus vs the main high school campus. However, many ‘interesting’ behaviours show themselves in the Gr. 10 campus: drawing all the time to avoid work, skipping certain classes, wasting time extraordinarily when they are supposed to be doing independent or group Project Based Learning, not being willing to understand that you really can and WILL fail classes and have to repeat them next year in Gr. 11 at the main campus.
    Like you, Sarah, I LOVE the examples of adaptations given in this chapter. I also LOVE how the author, on pg 43, explains how we would give a hearing impaired person a hearing aid so they can be successful. Those teachers who are against UDL just look at the LATs with a complete lack of understanding when you explain it in that way, or how those of us who do not have perfect vision wear glasses. Many of these teachers wear glasses! B/c it is not something like seeing or hearing, they struggle to understand why these students need different accommodations. I wish there was an easy way to help those teachers understand this.

Reply