September 1

Chapter 2- September: Everyone Can Learn!

Everyone Can Learn- what an interesting concept! In my opinion this is what everyone who goes into the field of education aspires to live up to- ensuring that all of the students in their classes learn. However, I think, with some experience, we all come to know that there are some students who do not seem to learn everything we put forth. It is important to remember that every student does learn, some more than others, as no one is the same, but everyone does indeed learn! Teaching our students about the growth mindset will likely lead to more engaged learning, more confidence and greater growth from more students.

As we set up our classrooms for the year, it is important to think of all the details. Creating a welcoming classroom environment where every student can feel safe and wanted is a precursor to the ability to learn in the space. Making the space a growth mindset zone will be very important as well. The chart on pages 45 and 46 which outlines some features of a growth-oriented classroom could be very helpful. I am currently setting up my own classroom, which is shared with 3 other adults- another LART and 2 First Nations Support Workers. Trying to create a space that would allow all of us adults our own space to work, as well as places for all of the students to work was a challenge. I do hope that the set up promotes growth- tables are placed for collaborative work to be done, there are personal spaces as well. We have a couch and bean bags set up and there are even yoga mats for those that would like to lay down to work too. Since it is the beginning of the year, there is nothing on the walls, except for the usuals- alphabet and number line, but class rules and student work will come in the future. I will have to work on the discipline piece! Maybe this should be where my growth goal lies?

Involving parents is noted as a very important aspect of teaching growth mindset. I wholeheartedly agree! I was working on teaching my grade 5 students last year and skipped this part- more because I could not decide on how to write the letter, or maybe it was complete apathy on my part. Anyways, I found that my students did not get the same information from both me and their parents which led to some students growing further in the growth mindset than others. Would it have helped to have included the parents more? I am not sure, although all the books I have read thus far indicate that it would have. I am not sure of how I will be able to include my parents this year as I work with so many different students and only for short periods of time in a day/week/year. I think that I will focus on the students I see daily for longer periods of time. I do love the letter written in the book. It really sums it up nicely and lays it out in a manageable way for parents to understand.

The lesson plan looks great! Adaptable for your needs with many different options and extensions. One thing it is lacking is the ability to use with small groups- well at least small intervention groups. For me – and maybe you?- I will need to teach my students less formally, through my actions, words and conversations about the growth mindset. I am curious to hear how others use this lesson plan. If you do end up doing this lesson, please do reflect on this post, I am really interested in how it goes!

Just a quick note- I have ventured out into the ocean on my kayak! The water was like glass, the weather was perfect and my husband asked, saying that we couldn’t ask for better conditions to try a paddle on the ocean. I agreed, told him I was scared and let him know that we had to stay very close to shore. When he agreed to my terms, we brought the kayaks down to the water and hopped in. After push-off, a few deep breaths and some self-talk to calm myself, I began paddling. We were out for at least an hour and it was wonderful! Given the right conditions, I hope to go again soon!

Now on to some questions for reflection:

Will you include your parents in the growth mindset conversation? How will you do it? A letter? A meeting, maybe at meet the teacher?

How did the lesson go with your students? Did you use this lesson or approach it some other way?

Have you had any successes or learning with your growth goal?

Posted September 1, 2017 by tiebcmembers in category Growth Mindset Coach

3 thoughts on “Chapter 2- September: Everyone Can Learn!

1. Jacqui Ferguson

Good afternoon all,

What an amazing way to get parent’s involved in the Growth Mindset. I actually used it for my first IEP meeting – we discussed our most vulnerable students isolation in many of our schools and how the parent would like to see more inclusion with their child. It is fascinating to me how simple the parents make it. I just want my child to feel accepted and have friends. I want them in a class and not stuck in a hallway with a EA or a teacher while laughter is heard from their classroom. I want the teacher to accept and adapt for their needs. I want contact with the teacher instead of just a few calls per year telling me how lovely my child is.
    So how did I do it – Parent, staff working with the child, myself and the vice principal worked together to organize simple tasks we could do for one child. I won’t give a name but I will give a diagnosis – Autism with high anxiety. Take a moment every 15 minutes to stop say something to the child – “amazing how on task you are today. Remember not everything needs to be completed on that page.” Praise, reminders and cheerleading leads to a happy child and a happy environment. It is difficult in our busy schedule to stop sometimes and take a breather and just praise. It can’t just be that EA sitting assisting or the First Nations worker who has come in to chat, or we the LST or Resource Teachers of the school….It must be the teacher.
    In my Lifeskills class we looked at what makes a learning environment more powerful for the brain and I was impressed with the comments – we need to try, we can be wrong cause you’re there to help, I hate when someone does it for me – I ain’t dumb, etc. I think we forget that some children take longer to process. It doesn’t mean they don’t know we just need to be less anxious about a quick answer.
    It has been a great and tiring start to the year but my group is hitting the ground and running. We have 5 new students and 6 leaders who are helping that were with me last year. I reminded them all that they are the ones who are going to make this year amazing and it is okay to have an off day. Our goal is to keep on trying and being the best we can be.

Reply
  2. Elaine

Here it is, September 14 and I’m making my first post… Sometimes I think September ought to be called “Learn Everything You Can – And Do it NOW.” Needless to say, I’ve skimmed the first two chapters and haven’t had enough time to soak up the info in a super reflective way.
    BUT
    I’m the Librarian this year (That’s new. Haven’t done that before) as well as the Learning Support Teacher… so I’m going to put the monthly mantras on the Library Wall & connect them to our monthly Values. Great stuff.
    It’s funny, I’m actually sitting at a Jennifer Katz inservice, talking to some colleagues. All of us are hyperventilating about the usual September stuff. Instead of leaving them to stew in their juices, I was able to COACH by pulling out the Growth Mindset Coach book (which our District is buying us all, ironically) and reaffirmed the ideas that “It’s a practice, not a perfection” and “everyone, (even us) can (and will) learn.”
    Give yourself permission to approach our classrooms, our kids, our relationships with love and care. Give yourself permission to take time to build relationships and not worry about curriculum. Our previous superintendent once told me that he wished all teachers spent the first 6 weeks building relationships so that they could “Love 100% of their kids and be loved by 100% of their kids.”
    That’s the most important thing to learn this month, I think. Don’t sweat teaching the kids to be “best in the world” just yet. If we can all learn to be together, learn to be “best for the world” that’s time well spent.

Reply
    1. tiebcmembers (Post author)

Well written Elaine! I am so glad that you are using the library as a place to teach the kids about Growth Mindset! What a great place to display the mantras 🙂 Teaching is definitely a practice and not a perfection, although I am sure many of us teachers are perfectionists, so it is very difficult to let go and realize that we will make mistakes and that’s ok. I am one of those people-very hard on myself, needing everything to go exactly as planned, very organized etc. I do need to give myself permission to not have everything work exactly as planned and know that in the end, it will work out as it is supposed to. Thank you so much for this!

Reply