November 5

Chapter 8- The Power of Relationship

Relationships are absolutely integral in life. Teaching is no different. It is next to impossible to teach a student with whom you have no relationship. Those students with whom you struggle to connect will cause problems within the classroom or will simply stop attending. Rita Pierson, in her April 2013 TED Talk, discusses this exactly. https://www.ted.com/talks/rita_pierson_every_kid_needs_a_champion#t-439357

Chapter 8 discusses the ways in which we build relationships with our students. The first ingredient for relationship building is trust. Another key ingredient is building a safe environment an invites a sense of belonging as well. Some safe environment must-haves include a safe and secure school and school ground, clear behavioural expectations,an open-door policy for family members and clear routines, among others.

Relationships with students are key when having to deal with behaviours that arise. We need to be aware that students need to be held accountable for their choices and actions but we do not always have to be heavy-handed with these consequences. Although consequences are appropriate at times, and should be used to hold students accountable for their actions, we also need to teach them appropriate ways to cope with the stressors that may be behind the behaviours. We need to ensure that we validate the student’s feelings during these times of need. Reminding them that they are safe is also imperative to help them back into a regulated state. These two things need to happen before moving on to teaching them how to respond more appropriately to their stress and allowing them to take some control back into their lives.

Pete reminds us “It doesn’t take any longer than that (seven seconds) to make someone’s day, no matter how his or her day began.”

Who was the teacher that made a difference in your life? What did they do that was so memorable? How do you/could you incorporate some of that teacher’s characteristics into your own life?

What could you do to make someone’s day?

Posted November 5, 2017 by tiebcmembers in category Fostering Resilient Learners

3 thoughts on “Chapter 8- The Power of Relationship

1. Rhonda

To make someone’s day I could do a variety of things. I do try to greet as many students and staff, by name as I can. I’m fortunate to be on supervision first thing as students file off the bus so that I can greet them as they step onto the school property. Each day in my class we have a student photographer and then the photos are compiled into a book each week so that we have photos of our class. As I read Chapter 8, I realize that I do not have pictures of students posted around the room. This is something I could do to help students feel connected to our class. Each day, almost every student has a job in the classroom. There are a few students who are constantly late or absent and I reinforce to them, on the days they complete their job, how much we need them to come to school each day on time. For example, we have snails that need to be sprayed each day and I reiterate to the child who is absent or tardy that the snails need the child to be at school. The last sentence in this chapter, “It is up to us to reinforce that they are in fact safe and that they can trust their environment.” (Souers, p. 111) is very impactful and states the essence of our job is as a teacher amongst all the planning & assessment.

Reply
  2. Maureen

What really speaks to me in this chapter is the part on accountability and availability. I work with a couple of students who don’t engage with their peers, their teacher or the school. They are running the show. They are comfortable working with me, they like their respective teachers, but are not accountable for their actions. When they come to my room, they are comfortable and feel safe, but they don’t want to leave. Am I the reason they don’t have accountability or is it that they don’t have a relationship with their teacher that makes them feel safe?

Reply
    1. tiebcmembers (Post author)

Since I do not know the students you are talking about, I would suggest that they may not have the same safe relationship. We have similar students in our school-do not necessarily engage in anything, except play. For a couple of these students, they have yet to have made a connection in which they feel safe enough to fully engage in their academics. They are just beginning to work with their EAs. I am wondering how long it takes for some children to connect and feel safe with an adult. I do know that it takes different amounts of time for each child/teacher relationship and some never reach that sweet spot, but how long should one try to connect before it becomes futile? Does it ever become futile?

Reply