January 1

Part 5-Live, Laugh, Love-Chapter 14- Grace

Grace-according to Dictionary.com, grace can be defined as: favour or goodwill; favour shown in granting adelay or temporary immunity; a manifestation of favour, especially given by a superior

undeserved, unmerited, unearned, favour. Grace is being delivered from the righteous judgment of God. The Bible makes it clear that you can only be saved by God’s grace by putting your faith in the sacrifice of Jesus not in your own righteous deeds. Grace is God’s approval, God’s acceptance, God’s favor towards us sinners because of Jesus Christ. #grace

(http://www.seedsoffaithdesigns.com/bible-verse-prints/grace-n/)

Grace is something in which we all need at different times in our lives. If we have fallen behind in writing our IEPs due to circumstances beyond our control, we might ask grace of our administrators. If we make a mistake in our actions, we might ask for some grace of the person/people impacted by those actions. Sometimes, we need to ask grace of ourselves as well, for those days when we just can’t go to the gym, or plan for the big project we want our students to get started on.

Grace is not easy for us to give, especially to ourselves.We need to be able to show empathy, understanding and kindness in those times when grace could be given. It is very important for us to model grace to our students, so that they can give grace to others when it is needed.

The quote from this chapter that hits me the most, something I need to remember both in school, but more so at home is that “they are little people…who are still developing into bright and amazing human beings.” I need to practice more grace with my children.

Has anyone showed your grace? How did it make you feel? Do you feel you deserved this grace?

Think of a time when you could have shown grace but did not. What was the outcome of the situation? How do you think the outcome would have changed if grace was shown?

Posted January 1, 2018 by tiebcmembers in category Fostering Resilient Learners

4 thoughts on “Part 5-Live, Laugh, Love-Chapter 14- Grace

1. Maureen

I remember a school based team meeting with the classroom teacher, parents and my Principal. As the teacher began to talk negatively about the student, I freaked out on her in front of the parents. I realized what I had done and did not say another word througout the meeting. When the meeting was over my Principal came to my room and said, “We’ll debrief tomorrow. . . go home and have a glass of wine”. The next day we were able to come up with a plan for the next meeting with that teacher. I will now always meet with the Principal for a ‘grace’ talk before I have to meet with the teacher.

I have one parent that I need to show more grace to in order to create a better outcome for her child in the classroom. I need to find her strengths instead of dismissing her words. I know she loves her child.

Reply
    1. tiebcmembers (Post author)

Sometimes it is very difficult to show grace to a parent,especially when there have been many issues with that parent surrounding their children. This year, I made the decision to remove myself from a child’s caseload due to the history I have with one of our parents. I feel it was the best decision I could have made for both me, the student and the parents. Sometimes, the grace needed is the opportunity for a change and that is what my teaching partner gave me. It has definitely helped my year be more positive!

Reply