January 15

Fostering Resilient Learners-Wrap-Up

Well, the book has come to an end, but the learning continues. I have taken many things out of this book, and as I sit here and reflect on my journey through it, I look at some of the key ideas that I have taken out of it.

1. The idea of self-care- I know that this one seems to be a no-brainer, but I struggle with this on a regular basis. One of my goals for 2018 is to take care of myself in all facets of my life- working on my work-family-self balance.
  2. Not to make the story a child comes with an excuse for their behaviours or allow that to let me lower my expectations for them- remembering that with love and expectations, everyone can rise to the challenge, even those with the biggest disadvantage.
  3. Relationship, relationship, relationship! This is something I have always worked towards with every child, although I know that this is not possible with every child, I need to ensure that I am a safe person, someone that they can go to when they are in need.

I know that there are areas I need to work on and I believe that this book has given me some excellent strategies to help me better myself for the better of my students.

Thank you all for joining me on this journey! I am better for having worked with you through this book! Thank you!

We will be having a book chat at Cross Currents, if you are interested in joining us. It is one of the Bonus Sessions on the Friday morning. Please do grab your breakfast from the foyer and meet us in the session to continue the engaging conversations. We will also be talking about the Growth Mindset Coach as well 🙂

Posted January 15, 2018 by tiebcmembers in category Mindsets in the Classroom

1 thoughts on “Fostering Resilient Learners-Wrap-Up

1. Rhonda

Thank you for this opportunity to delve into Kristin Souers book, “Fostering Resilient Learners”. I appreciated Sarah’s summary of the chapters, her personal connection to the chapters and the questions she proposed to guide my reflection.
    I want to work on reminding myself of the ACE guide from Chap 1 and of the six communication steps from Chap 6. Foremost, I want to be mindful that I am the one who puts the pressure on myself and that I need to take good care of me. I can take good care of myself by keeping up my challenge of getting out of my comfort zone in regards to making connections and having fun. I can do this by just even inviting someone else to come out into the sunshine with me for a ski after work. I look forward to seeing everyone at Cross Currents.

Reply