September 1

Part I- Trauma

Chapter 1-

In reading this chapter, I learned a whole awful lot about trauma. I mean, I have worked with students who have experienced trauma and I know that this has a huge impact on their lives both inside of school and out, but when you look at all the possible trauma-inducing incidences, I had no idea the number of students in my small school who may be dealing with trauma without us even knowing it. I loved the piece where the author, Kristin Souers, talks about know that a child has experienced trauma is enough. You do not need to know the whole story to support the child, otherwise you risk getting caught up in their story rather than supporting the child through their experience and the effect that this may have on them. I know that I am one of those people who get caught up in the story. I have used that story as an excuse for the behaviours- “It’s understandable that he is lashing out- his mother just walked away from him again without so much as a good-bye! I would be angry all the time too!”  I am looking forward diving in further and learning ways to better support this young individual.

According to researchers, there are eight adverse childhood experiences that cause trauma in a person’s life and Ms. Souers includes 6 more on top of that. These experiences happen within every socico-economic status, race, religion and gender. That means that no matter what school you are in there will be at least one student who has experienced trauma at some point in their life and is dealing with the impacts of this. The chart on page 21 was extremely shocking to me. Even 1 adverse childhood experience has dramatic effects on attendance, behaviour and health.  A child with 3 or more adverse experiences is 6.1 times more likely to have serious behaviour issues.

The information coming out of this first chapter really hits home for me at the importance of supporting students who have experienced trauma. I know that there are many students within my school who are dealing with trauma and I am certain that there are many more of whom I am unaware.

~What are your initial responses to the prevalence of trauma?  Was there anything that shocked you?

~ Are there any students on your class list that may have had an adverse experience at some point in their life? Maybe they have more than just one? How does the information from this first chapter change how you might approach the students within your class, knowing that they may have had an adverse experience without anyone’s knowledge?

Posted September 1, 2017 by tiebcmembers in category Mindsets in the Classroom

18 thoughts on “Part I- Trauma

1. Elaine McEachern

Initial response to prevalence of trauma doesn’t surprise me as much as it did last year, when 5 of my incoming “case management” students demanded a “trauma informed” school based team. We hadn’t even heard the term prior to those reports.
    Since then, our PBS team has worked with our district behaviour support coach to understand ACEs and the support kids need to help them cope.
    One year into it, I can honestly say that our best work comes in the form of building caring relationships that allow kids to experience safe, reliable & consistent experiences.
    No shockers. Just reaffirmation that it’s all about relationships, relationships, relationships.

As for part two of your question, the trauma that some of our kids have experienced would make you cry into your pillows at night.

Just know them and love them. Lend them your calm when they have none of their own. Care.

Reply
    1. Rae Perry

“Lend them your calm when they have none of their own.” I LOVE this! Is this your quote, Elaine, or is it from the book?

Reply
  2. Jacqui Ferguson

Trauma, if the Cariboo hasn’t had that this year I don’t know what we have had…lol. I think we have all dealt with students and teachers with trauma and we try desperately to understand and be as empathetic as possible. In our fast moving world we sometimes forget to take a moment to think before we speak and we can create anxiety without even thinking about it. In our school we are using our counsellors as a solid base for our students and their parents. They find and understand the trauma and then call meetings with staff and administration. In my room we are aware of any changes in personality or behaviour. In the district we have begun to look at Trauma Based School and how low income and disadvantages cause student’s needs and anxieties to become more prevalent as they age. We have counsellors in the H.S. doing stand up programs dealing with bullying and feels of isolation and participation. We have school mascots and leadership groups in the hallways creating an atmosphere of fun. We have alternate programs where we have a few students who have advocated for themselves and stated they need smaller classes with less noise to be successful. Caring, listening and sharing helps all in the school understand what is so effective for both students and teaching peers.
    Trauma is such an overwhelming issue in SD27. Foster children, drugs, alcohol, family death, family splits and on and on….It is so prevalent that if you stop and think about it we would all go insane. We take each child as an individual and keep travelling forward assisting where we can. Elaine I agree if we experienced what many of these children do we would be in a fetal position and not able to cope. Kids are so resilient these days. However, it is a crying shame that they have to deal with so much at such a young age.
    Be support, show love and acceptance and work as a team of caring adults.

Reply
    1. Marguerite DiFilippo

Elaine and Jacqui I feel guilty saying thanks for validating my experiences with ACE students, parents and teachers. It’s nice not to be alone!
      I joined this book club because I thought OMG that’s the students in my district. Now, I’m beginning to understand it’s not just here, in SD 92, Nisga’a but it’s prevalent across the country. I read the 1st chapter before school started and just reread it, now I understand the students, but especially the staff much better.
      Jacqui. we have also tried a new format this year at the secondary school with smaller classes and double the time spent on English and Math. It seems to be working. The students tend to be more engaged and are working.
      Elaine, I agree it’s all about relationships. If you don’t have that you can’t move forward especially with the students who have experienced trauma.
      I looked at the list of ACEs and then the chart on page 21 showing the correlation between the number of ACEs and struggles in school and health and now I understand our students and staff much better. Knowledge is power, and in our positions it allows us to do our job that much better!

Reply
  3. Marguerite DiFilippo

Reply
    1. tiebcmembers (Post author)

It is so true that the impact of trauma can be found everywhere, no matter the make-up of the school community. The scary part is that sometimes the trauma is hidden within a child who may seem to be doing well and working through things wonderfully, but inside they are breaking. I think this is the reason we need to treat everyone sensitively and with the thought that there may have been some trauma in their lives which even we are unaware.

Reply
  4. Elaine McEachern

Jacqui – how goes it with the Caribou, trauma & helping the community of school & beyond connect? Marguerite – did you score yourself on the ACE list? Our trauma coach had us do that last year – it’s eye opening. Our little ones experience so much… and I’m sure it was this Book (I’ve got a few on the go) that ruefully noted we expect our youngest to be the most resilient. Crazy.
    Glad I have my book study buddies to grow with this year. Together we’re better (as we say, up in sd60!)
    🙂
    E

Reply
  5. Marguerite DiFilippo

I scored 1 on the ACE list. My parents separated when I was in high school, so I don’t even know if that classifies as a true 1. I admit, compared to many I had a pretty sweet childhood, and a wonderful mother.

Reply
  6. Rhonda

Yikes! I didn’t realize that the two books were going to be studied concurrently. Let me get caught up. I was one of those Cariboo ACE students and have had some resentments that my teachers didn’t do more. (Something I plan to work through as I read the book.) On the other hand, school was a place that I loved (and still love) as the routine and caring adults was security in my otherwise topsy-turvy childhood. With this in mind and with the school population that I choose to teach, I have had a heightened sense of the affects of trauma throughout my career. One ACE that I would add is generational trauma. We have many students that may not have experienced trauma first-hand but are affected by the experiences their family has lived through.

Reply
    1. tiebcmembers (Post author)

Do what you can Rhonda 🙂 They are both informal so post as you can-read as you can as well 🙂 I hope that school is always a place full of security, stability and caring adults for children dealing with trauma. That is what I will strive for! The addition of generational trauma is so true and so prevalent in our schools today! Thank you for bringing that to our attention!

Reply
    2. Rae Perry

Rhonda, I was just wondering of anyone had done a study of the children of parents who have experienced trauma in the past to see what effects there are. It only makes sense that if you have experienced trauma yourself that that could likely have an effect on how you parent your children.

Reply
      1. Elaine

I think studies likely exist. In our school libraries, I would think we’d have to look no further than our books that tell the stories of surviving residential school, should we want to draw some parallels between current topics and this book study.
        In the 031 section in my library (and I would think yours) there is an outstanding book on residential schools which walks readers through the journey people are still on. The last two chapters discuss restitution and healing.
        The book looks like this: https://books.google.ca/books?id=lSEHCwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=residential+schools&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjagLWE_ovXAhVRwmMKHaKMAJAQ6AEIJTAA#v=onepage&q=residential%20schools&f=false

Reply
    1. tiebcmembers (Post author)

Thank you so much for sharing! What a great video. Is it okay if I share it further? Within my district and with the TIE-BC Executive? I love the message and agree with the importance of that sense of belonging and feeling connected. Thanks again Rhonda!

Reply
  7. Elaine McEachern

Thanks for the video. Marguerite & Rhonda – you are echoing my soul right now. Being trauma informed isn’t just an invaluable perspective to have when viewing kids – but our colleagues, too.
    If we all stood back for a moment and contemplated the unexpected behaviours we encounter through the lens of people who know trauma… I wonder what our next steps would be.
    Erring on the side of kindness, bringing people together, seeking to understand first…
    All wise moves, rather than “control behaviour” and “punish/apply consequences for unexpected behaviours.”

Reply
    1. tiebcmembers (Post author)

I completely agree Elaine! Controlling behaviours never works in our favour anyways, it usually just escalates a situation.

Reply